Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Difference Between Spirit and Soul?


I read a book entitled "You Can Be Led By The Spirit of God" authored by Kenneth E. Hagin, about 30 years ago and have recently purchased another for our children to read. I wanted to bring an excerpt from it today entitled "What Is the Difference Between Spirit and Soul?" Yummy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit...

The spirit and the soul are not the same.

Many years ago, back in the early '50's, I began an intensive study on this subject. I got books from the leading Bible schools and seminaries, both Pentecostal and denominational, to see what they taught on the subject of man. Non satisfied me. None were actually scriptural. They were only scriptural, as the Bible says "in part." I asked leading Bible scholars and ministers across the nation. You would recognize some of their names if I mentioned them. I even heard someone ask one of today's most well-known ministers, "What is the difference between the spirit and the soul?" He looked startled and said, "I thought they were the same." That was the answer I got from most of the ministers I asked.

Yet how could they be the same? Paul, by the Spirit of God, said they can be divided by the Word of God (Hebrews 4:12). If you can divide them, they cannot be the same.

Only the Word of God can divide the spirit and the soul, however. The reason we have not been able to distinguish between them is that we have not dug deeply enough into the Word. Years ago, in the western part of the United States, they had what we call "the gold rush." People rushed out West. They were gong to get rich in a hurry. Most panned a little gold out of creeks. Some found a few nuggets lying on the ground. But if you really wanted to strike it rich, you had to dig or it. The same is true in spiritual matters: You can skim along on the surface of the Bible and pan out a little gold here and there - and even find a nugget occasionally. But if you really want to strike it rich, you have to dig down deep into the Word of God.

For 15 years I studied carefully, burning the midnight oil. If there was anything I desired to know it was the difference between the spirit and the soul. Eventually, I went through this process of elimination. I wrote it down like this: With my body I contact the physical realm. (That goes without argument.) With my spirit I contact the spiritual realm. That left only one other part of me that made contact with any other realm. I knew then that it had to be with my soul that I contacted the intellectual or soulish realm (which included the emotions and the intellect). So I wrote: With my soul I contact the intellectual ream. Here is a scripture that helped me:

I Corinthians 14:14
For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

The Amplified translation reads, "For if I pray in an (unknown) tongue, my spirit (by the Holy Spirit within me) prays, but my mind is unproductive...."

Our understanding, our natural human mentality, is a part of our soul.

Notice what Paul said. "My spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful." He did not say, "When I pray in an unknown tongue my soul prays." He did not say, "When I pray in tongues, I pray out of my intellect, or out of my mind." He said in effect, "I am not praying out of my soul when I pray in tongues; I am praying out of my spirit, my heart, my innermost being." Do you remember what Jesus said?

John 7:37-39
37 On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, "If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink.
38 He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, OUT OF HIS BELLY will flow rivers of living water."
39 BUT THIS HE SPAKE OF THE SPIRIT, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

As a result of receiving the Holy Spirit, Jesus said, 'out of the belly shall flow rivers of living water." Another translation reads, "out of the innermost being will flow rivers of living water."

A Full Gospel pastor's daughter was six years old when she and some of the children were off by themselves one night at a revival. Some of these youngster were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues. This little six year old, holding her stomach, ran up to her mother, saying, "Momma, Momma, that came right out of my belly."

She was being scriptural. She was speaking in tongues from her belly - her spirit, her innermost being. That's where tongues come from - the Holy Spirit who resides in your spirit gives your spirit the utterance and you speak it out.

Consider these scriptures together now. "The spirit of man is the candle of the Lord, searching all the INWARD PARTS OF THE BELLY....OUT OF HIS BELLY shall flow rivers of living water..."

All the leading I have ever received have come from out of my spirit. And most of them have come while I was praying in other tongues. You can understand why. Your spirit is active when you are praying in tongues.

One reason the church world as a whole has failed so miserably is that it has done so much of just one kind of praying -- praying with the understanding, or mental praying. Christians have endeavored to fight spiritual battles with mental abilities.

I have learned this through these many, many years. In every crisis of life I have learned to look to my spirit inside me. I have learned to pray in other tongues. While I am praying in other tongues, guidance comes up from inside me. This is because my spirit is active. My body is not active, my mind (my soul) is not active, but my spirit is active, and it is through my spirit that God is going to guide me.

Sometimes I interpret what I am praying in tongues, and through the interpretation I receive light and guidance (I Corinthians 14:13). But most o the time, that is not so. Most of the time, just while I am praying in tongues, from somewhere way down inside, I can sense something rise up in me. It begins to take shape and form. I cannot tell anyone mentally how I know it, because my understanding has nothing to do with it. But I know on the inside of me what to do.

I follow that. I listen to my spirit. Because the spirit of man is the candle of the Lord.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Father, I ask You to HELP US to know the difference between our soul and our spirit. Help us to know WHERE you speak to us and how to hear and listen to you, in Jesus' Name.

5 comments:

Renna said...

Very good Word, Sharon!

Mike just finished reading, and I am in the midst of reading, "Spirit, Soul & Body", by Andrew Wommack. The fact that these are three separate things is not news to us, but his in-depth teaching of it really impacts one's understanding of it!

Sharon said...

Renna, I'm not familiar with Mr. Wommack's work, but I'm glad that it's ministering to you guys.
Mr. Hagin's mentioned that it takes digging into the Word to get what we need out of it. We need it ALL, don't we?

DonnaMarie said...

Here is my question: I know we are body, soul and spirit. I know the soul is our will and emotions (what we cognitively understand about the Word of God) but what is my spirit? It's dead before we are born again and made alive after we receive Christ BUT do we have the Holy Spirit residing within us plus or spirit or does our spirit get so closely knit with the Holy Spirit that you can't separate. I apologize if my question is too weird.

Sharon said...

Donna, your question is not weird.
Before we come to the Lord, we are still spirits, just walking around dead to God. When we come to Him we become alive to Him and He comes inside of us at our invitation.
Yes, we have the Holy Spirit residing inside of us - with us, it's the Holy Spirit that draws us to God to begin with.
The Body of Christ needs to understand that God is walking up and down inside of us. He's waiting on our words, the words He puts there to agree with Him. When we receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit, we just get FULL of HIM to overflowing, and that is really how God wants us to stay...FULL of the Holy Spirit till it overflows onto us, onto our family and everyone we come in contact with. Remember that sweet song "There's a river of life flowing out of me makes the lame to walk and the blind to see, opens prison doors sets the captives free, there's a river of life flowing out of me. Spring up O well within my soul, spring up O well and make me whole, spring up O well and give to me Your life abundantly."
We've gotta be FULL or it cannot FLOW OUT of us, right?
Make any sense? xoxoxo

DonnaMarie said...

Makes sense. Thank you so much for answering my question.