Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Hair Post



Emily has been wanting a "hair book" for a couple of years. She got one for a Christmas gift. She and the rest of the girls have been having a good time with it. Almost like playing "dress up" isn't it? LOL
Posted by Picasa

 
It's been interesting watching them, with their straightening iron and learning to work with "straight" hair. The girls all have lovely hair, just enough wave/curl, but I suppose it's like when I was in high school and "straight" was in. eh? LOL

When I was their age, it was the "curling iron" that was the rage. It didn't take long to know how long "too long" was, when the smell of burning hair would waiff past me. It takes a while to learn to appreciate what we already have, I suppose.

About 25 years ago, I walked into a hair salon in Virginia and the owner of the shop told me that women paid $80 to walk out with hair like mine. Now 25 years ago, $80 was a lot of money. It's a lot of money right now, but it was beyond me why anyone would pay good money to have what I did not appreciate. He enjoyed working with a thick lively head of hair. Wanted to take our oldest daughter on tour up in New York to model for him at some kind of "hair expo". Nope. She was sorely disappointed for a while. Didn't sound good to me, would it you? LOL

I posted the kids' picture at the heading today. The girls all moaned, it's about 2 years old and they're disappointed with my decision. :) Well, it's still a very good picture of them all, and until I'm moved by another, this one stays. They are some of the "Trees Planted By the Water" the planting of the Lord, from this house.
A Scripture reference from Psalm 1:1-3.

During the time of this photo, Joseph was beginning to grow his "long hair". I'd so hoped that he'd get a trim before the photo session, but he declined. He did let it grow out quite a bit. It's a very tight curly head, and even when it was laying upon his shoulders when wet, it bushed out just under his ears when dry. Unfortunatley, he did not allow it to bush out to give his face and hair some form. What he did do, however, is wash it, slick it back and then put a beanie stocking cap over it. When it would dry, he'd take it off. What a sad sight, I mean if you're going to look unkept, you may as well do it with a little shape and style, right? The girls tried to show him how to pick it out and I encouraged him to use mouse, but wasn't to his liking. It was a glad day when he finally became tired of it and got a buzz. The girls wanted to show him what it would look like "straight", and that would have been a bad idea....he may have liked it straight....and long....and would have taken much longer to tire of looking unkept.

Oh yes, the girls' hair. It's always so nice to see their lovely, bouncy, shiney hair after it's washed. Nice when straightened also, but they don't have to pay to have some bounce and lovely curl to make them look just a tad more feminine. *Sigh* I suppose they will learn to enjoy it in time. This little book of Emmas goes a long way to bring some "soft shapes" to their straight hair. Don't you think?

No comments: