Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Pamaw's Fruit Sherbet



While I'm looking out my window at all the snow and ice, I was wishing it were Spring already.

A couple of summers ago our oldest daughter phoned me and wanted me to enter our "favorite" home made ice cream in the local Chamber contest during the week of the 4th of July. It's a big to do in our little community.

She said she would buy the ingredients if I would pull it together, so she could enter it for us. I thought she was so funny.

Well, I made it, she entered it, it placed FIRST and I shared the $100 with her. She got fuel for her van and some other necessities....and I took our grandchildren out for some fun with mine. LOL Albeit there weren't many entries that summer, we still won. LOL

Here is the recipe, and it really is quite good. I've tweeked it over the years some, but it's still a good sherbet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pamaw's Fruit Sherbet
4 Quarts

Juices:
Juice of 8 oranges
Juice of 3 lemons
1- 12 oz. can of apricot or peach nectar (I like apricot most)

Blend in blender:
1- 20 oz. crushed pineapple
3 ripe bananas

Have on hand:
2 pints heavy whipping cream
3-4 cups simple syrup

Simple Syrup
Put 2 cups of sugar in a pint jar. Fill with water and stir until dissolved.

Combine juice mixture, pineapple, banana mixture and simple syrup. Stir in whipping cream. Pour into ice cream freezer and mix to the desired stiffness. An adequate time for an electric freezer is about 15 minutes. Pack well until serving.

Yeilds: 1 gallon of Sherbet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What I like to do is to make it up ahead of time, put it into covered containers and put it in the freezer to cure for a while.

I have a 6 quart crank freezer and use it to make enough for all of our gang. Probably need a two gallon freezer, but have not been able to find one.
Right now I need to replace a part on the freezer to get it ready for the Spring/Summer....well, actually as much ice cream as our gang eats all year long, I might just consider using it during the winter months also. Gee, I think I'll get that part delivered so I can do just that!!! :)

It's flavor is almost addictive...but you know, God knew what He was doing when He made FRUIT for us, didn't He? LOL

5 comments:

Renna said...

Yum, Sharon, that sounds positively scrumptious! :-)

I'm going to be posting a couple of recipes on my blog tomorrow. I can't guarantee they won't be ones I've already shared on the Swap, though. ;-Þ

Sharon said...

HEY - Who CARES!!!??? LOL

It IS Scrumptious! Maybe I should put this on the Swap too, eh? LOL

Have thought about putting strawberries in this also, but haven't yet. Right now this combination is VERY good.

Sharon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Renna said...

Yes, please do submit it to the Swap Cookbook! :-)

Joy said...

That sounds yummy! I might try this at my daughters birthday in April!