Thursday, April 3, 2008

Recipe Swap



The first Thursday of each month Randy at "i have to say"... hosts a recipe swap. It's that time again.

My contribution is a yummy carrot cake from a Southern Living Cookbook I've had a LONG time. It's called....

Supreme Carrot Cake.

Ingredients-

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 large eggs
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups grated carrot
1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained
1 (3 1/2 oz.) can flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecan

Top with the Buttermilk Glaze below or your favorite cream cheese frosting.

Directions -
- Grease and flour your backing pan.
- Stir together first 4 ingredients. Beat eggs and next 4 ingredients at medium speed with electric mixer until smooth. Add flour mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Fold in carrot and next three ingredients. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean
- Drizzle warm Buttermilk Glaze evenly over warm cake.
- Spread frosting, chill cake several hours. Store in refrigerator.


Buttermilk Glaze

The preparation time on this is about 3 minutes
Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions-
Bring first 5 ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Boil 4 minutes, stirring constantly until glaze is golden. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla. Cool slightly.
Yield: 1 1/2 cups.

If you like carrot cake...this will sure to become a favorite.
Enjoy!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, yummy! I have to try the buttermilk glaze.

For the longest time, I thought the girl wearing pearls in the photo at the top of your blog was YOU! :-)

Amy said...

This is my favorite cake AND my favorite recipe!

Anonymous said...

We love carrot cake, but haven't made it for such a long time. I guess it is time to change that. thanks for posting the recipe!

Sharon said...

Well, Kelly, Thank you!
She is lovely, isn't she?
Our eldest, and she's a very YOUNG 37 this year. :)

Yup, I do believe that Buttermilk Glaze would go very nicely on a lot of goodies.

Can't beat a good carrot cake, can we Ladies?

You are welcome.

susan said...

can you omit the pineapple without affecting the outcome? i dont like pineapple in my carrot cake, but have wanted to make one for ages.
thanks for the recipe

Sharon said...

Yes, I've made it without the pineapple, and it's just as yummy!

Also, I have a granddaughter that doesn't like coconut and I've left it out for HER and it's still yummy.

jillytacy said...

This sounds amazing! I just passed your recipe onto my sister who loves carrot cake. I might serve this carrot cake this weekend, my in laws are coming. Thanks for sharing.